Become a Volunteer
Mercyhealth volunteers are important because they provide comfort and caring to all our patients, young and old, in times of need.
Mercyhealth volunteers so often rise to the occasion when staff, visitors and patients need help. We work hard, are dedicated to our tasks, and go above and beyond to think of new and innovative ways to get things done. We make people smile, every day.
We invite you to serve your community by joining our team of dedicated Mercyhealth volunteers.
- Click here for an application for the Mercyhealth Association of Volunteers
- Click here for an adult application for the Mercyhealth Rockford Memorial Auxiliary
- Click here for a student application for the Mercyhealth Rockford Memorial Auxiliary
Mercyhealth Association of Volunteers
The Mercyhealth Association of Volunteers was founded in 1953, with 24 charter members. The first co-chairmen were Mrs. Pierpont J. E. Wood and Mrs. W. R. Lathrop, and the first president was Mrs. Floyd K. Yeomans. The Mercy Hospital Auxiliary, as it was originally named, was organized to print information for patients, but quickly grew to offer cart service, a gift shop, and greeting visitors and guiding patients. Today, the Mercyhealth Association of Volunteers is led by a board and our volunteers continue to serve our communities with a passion for making lives better.
See our volunteer opportunities below, sorted by location. For more information, Contact Jackie Lee, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 756-6739.
Mercyhealth Rockford Memorial Auxiliary and Volunteers
The auxiliary, was founded in 1923 by Mrs. Alma Fringer. A dynamic physician’s wife and nurse, she organized a group of ladies for the benefit of Rockford Hospital, as it was then called, “for the support of a worthy institution in order that the best that science has to offer might be made available to all.” From the early years of sewing aprons and bandages in the hospital basement and hosting attic sales to raise funds, the services quickly grew to offering a rummage sale, gift cart, coffee shop, and establishing the volunteer services group.
Led by a Board of Directors, our auxiliary continues this important tradition today, leading many fundraising and friend raising projects, serving with a passion for making lives better throughout the organization and the Rockford area community.
Volunteer Services at Mercyhealth Hospital-Rockton Avenue
The Mission of the volunteer program at Mercyhealth Hospital-Rockton Avenue is:
- To coordinate the personal goals, needs, and talents of individual volunteers with the various needs of the hospital for the benefit of their community and mankind.
- Enhance the quality of care provided to our patients.
- Act as ambassadors for Mercyhealth, promoting hospital programs in the community.
Our volunteer opportunities include:
- Auxiliary Gift Shop or Auxiliary Thrift Shop at the Mercyhealth Rockton Avenue Campus
- Patient transport services
- Patient/visitor escort
- Main lobby information desk
- The Loving Tails Pet Therapy program
- Greeting/patient check in for outpatient surgery and Endoscopy Center
- Flower and mail delivery to hospitalized patients
- Newspapers and magazine distribution to hospital waiting rooms
- Visiting patients through the Friendly Visitor program
- Assisting with non-clinical tasks in a variety of nursing units such as:
- The Cancer Center and Infusion Center
- The Emergency Department
- Outpatient Surgery Unit
- Outpatient Pediatric/IV Therapy Units
- Assisting with clerical tasks in a variety of offices
- Sewing, knitting and crocheting
- High School summer student programs (age 14-18)
Join us and discover all the advantages of volunteering.
For more information, call the Volunteer Services office at (815) 971-6284.
Mercyhealth Rockford Memorial Auxiliary
Our fundraising success
Since its inception, the auxiliary has raised over $8 million to help provide excellent care and services to patients at Rockford Health System—now Mercyhealth Hospital-Rockton Avenue, and the Rockford area community. These funds are raised primarily through the:
- Gift Shop, located off of the lobby of Mercyhealth Hospital-Rockton Avenue
- Thrift Shop, located at 2830 Glenwood Ave. in Rockford, adjacent to the hospital
- Special fundraisers held throughout the year, such as book sales, scrub uniform sales, the annual Holiday Market, and other fun events
Because of the Auxiliary’s success, its recent projects include:
- Support of the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, a mobile pediatric clinic that serves a five-county area to uninsured and underinsured children.
- The Healing Harps music program to help reduce anxiety for our patients and help with their healing process.
- Scholarships to high school students entering a health care field; grants and loans for employee partners to continue or to enhance their health care career.
- Small patient comfort items, such as quilts for our neonatal intensive care babies, and caps for every newborn baby.
- Continued growth and upgrades to the Body Shop Exhibit at the Discovery Center Museum.
- Renovation projects on several inpatient and outpatient units.
If you would like to support the work of our auxiliary, contribute to our Annual Campaign here.
The Mercyhealth Rockford Memorial Auxiliary takes pride in its long tradition of service to our community. Anyone with an interest is welcome to join us.
For more information, call the auxiliary office at (815) 971-6284.