Mercyhealth’s rheumatology specialists diagnose and treat rheumatic conditions of the joints, muscles, soft tissues and immune system. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- Lupus, a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body’s immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can affect many different body systems — including your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, brain, heart and lungs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic inflammatory disorder that typically affects the small joints in your hands and feet.
- Rheumatic heart disease, an effect of having had rheumatic fever
- Gout, a type of arthritis that causes stiffness and burning pain joints due to a buildup of uric acid.
- Ankylosing spondylitis, an inflammatory disease that can cause some of the vertebrae in your spine to fuse together.
- Osteoporosis, a condition that causes bones to be weak and brittle.
- Vasculitis, an inflammation of your blood vessels. It causes changes in the walls of blood vessels, including thickening, weakening, narrowing and scarring. These changes restrict blood flow, resulting in organ and tissue damage.
To find a Mercyhealth rheumatologist in your area, browse our Related Physicians and Related Locations menus.