There are many types and causes of arthritis. You may not know if your pain is related to arthritis, so it’s always a good first step to visit your primary care provider to rule out causes.
- Osteoarthritis is the type most people are familiar with. This wear and tear arthritis is caused by the overuse of joints from aging or activities.
- Autoimmune diseases and other illnesses, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, can have arthritis as a side effect or symptom.
- Septic arthritis is caused by infection.
- Problems with the body’s ability to regulate levels of acids, such as with gout, or problems with the body’s structures—such as the pinched nerves cause by carpal tunnel syndrome—can bring on arthritis as well.
Mercyhealth has many specialists and treatment options to address your specific form of degenerative or inflammatory joint pain. We can help you manage your arthritis with:
- Minimal intervention, helping you to move sore joints with therapy and exercise, or weight loss if necessary
- The right orthopedic or assistive device to make everyday life more comfortable
- Medications or injection therapy (corticosteroids or hyaluronic acid)
- State-of-the-art treatments like joint replacement surgery
Addressing arthritis early is the key to getting successful treatment for pain and stiffness, so contact your Mercyhealth health care provider soon if your spine, knees, hips, fingers and other joints are giving you trouble.