Mercyhealth School of Sonography is a full-time, Monday through Friday, 15-month program. Applications are accepted annually and the program begins every January.
View our program booklet here.
Diagnostic sonography, or ultrasonography, is the use of sound waves to generate an image for the assessment and diagnosis of various medical conditions. Many people associate sonography with obstetrics and the viewing of the fetus in the womb, but this technology has many other applications.
The professionals who perform ultrasound examinations are known as sonographers and vascular technologists.
There are several areas of specialization in the field of sonography, including:
- Abdomen*: the evaluation of all the soft tissues, blood vessels and organs of the abdominal cavities (i.e. the liver, spleen, urinary tract and pancreas)
- Echocardiography: the evaluation of the anatomy and hemodynamics (blood flow) of the heart, its valves and related blood vessels
- Neurosonology: the evaluation of the brain and spinal cord
- Obstetrics/Gynecology*: the evaluation of the female reproductive system
- Ophthalmology: the evaluation of the eye, including orbital structures and muscles
- Pediatric Echocardiography: examining congenital anomalies of infants and children
- Vascular Technology: the evaluation and analysis of the hemodynamics (blood flow) of peripheral and abdominal blood vessels
* designates specialties offered at Mercyhealth