Welcome from the residents, faculty and staff of the Mercyhealth Family Residency Program, located within Mercyhealth South in Janesville, Wisconsin. We are delighted you are considering our program for your residency training.
Our residency program was established in 1992. It is a well-established, unopposed community-based program that allows you to take advantage of the best aspects of rural and suburban practice.
To promote family medicine and the role of family physicians within Mercyhealth and throughout our community, state and nation by:
- Delivering excellence in education — We believe the qualities of our rotations, didactics (including SIMS labs), one-on-one teaching, and facilities are outstanding. As part of the spectrum of education, we have medical students from St. George’s and UW Madison doing rotations with us, as well as offering Sports Medicine and Hospitalist fellowships. We also offer an annual Global Health elective for residents.
- Providing a non-conventional learning environment — We always use the most advanced technology to support our education and learning. We provide residents with an innovative environment. We use iPads on our inpatient rounds and recently started Tele Medicine for providing outpatient care
- Providing high-quality, comprehensive care — We have an amazing group of core faculty who are dedicated to teaching the next generation of physicians. Residents also learn from our community preceptor physicians (many are former graduates of the program) during their three years. Mercyhealth South is the sole provider of health care services on the south side of Janesville and provides a wealth of outpatient experiences and procedures. Our inpatient team is very busy and our residents get a robust inpatient experience.
- Serving as a respected community resource — Our residents are involved throughout the community in schools, nursing homes, health fairs. They staff a local free clinic (HealthNet) and many other important community functions including our annual hands-on series called Medical School for Teens, which introduces high school students to medicine.
- Maintaining a supportive, compassionate residency environment — Our faculty, residents, nurses and office staff care for each other. We support a nurturing and nourishing family friendly environment. We work well together and often have fun after work. Our residents are encouraged to have a life outside of residency and are given enough time and benefits to do so.
In short, our goal is to train residents to be compassionate, skilled family physicians. We give you the knowledge, experience, and community awareness you need to become a valuable resource to patients wherever you practice. This is done in a supportive environment focused on your education. Our graduates are successfully practicing in communities of their choice—rural, urban, suburban and military/public health—across the nation and the globe.
We are delighted that you are interested in our program. Mercyhealth Family Medicine Residency Program-Janesville can be the beginning of your successful career as a family physician. We look forward to meeting you.
Suhail Shaikh, MD