The Mercyhealth School of Sonography is dedicated to working collaboratively with technologists and other health care professionals to prepare students with entry level employment skills that meet the needs of the community. The school offers a variety of clinical settings to diversify and enhance student learning and networking in its communities of interest.
Upon completion of the Mercyhealth School of Sonography program, a new graduate will be able to accomplish the following:
- Prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Function as a member of the sonography team by utilizing proper written and oral communication skills specific to the medical environment.
- Apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology, and sonographic techniques to accurately demonstrate anatomical structures and related pathology.
- Use principles of body mechanics (ergonomics), medical hygiene and patient care to provide and ensure the health and safety of the patient, sonographer and others.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in the technical performance of medical imaging procedures.
- Complete competencies in Abdominal Sonography, Obstetrics and Gynecological Sonography.
- Obtain the didactic and clinical skills to successfully take and pass the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) registry examination in the areas of Sonographic Principles and Instrumentation, Abdomen, Obstetrics and Gynecology.