Welcome to the Mercyhealth Hospitalist Fellowship Program. Thank you for your interest and passion to go above and beyond to help others through your work. Hospital medicine is a growing and important pillar of health care. Your ambition to further your career path as a hospitalist speaks volumes.
At Mercyhealth, we have a variety of board certified specialists who trained at some of the most prestigious universities in the country. We aim to provide the best care for all patients while working alongside accessible doctors and nurse practitioners in a family-oriented atmosphere.
Our one-year program provides fellows the opportunity and training to sharpen their skills, allowing them to cater to the acute and chronic needs of patients in both rural and suburban settomgs. With your training in family medicine, the Mercyhealth Hospitalist Fellowship Program continues to build on that foundation and serves as a springboard that will propel you to the forefront of medicine.
Program goals and objectives
- Provide additional skill and experience in managing adult inpatients (optional off-site pediatric experiences are available)
- Develop skill and experience in providing consultative service to non-admitting physicians or patients admitted by another physician requesting consultation in the hospital
- Provide additional skills and experience in managing intensely ill adult patients
- Effectively manage patients requiring admission through the emergency department
- Provide experience in the care of hospitalized patients in community-based hospitals in a rural setting
- Provide opportunities for procedural experience appropriate for the care of hospitalized patients
Mercyhealth offers significant opportunity to tailor the curriculum to your personal career objectives. Opportunities include participation in hospital committees, research, leadership development, teaching and quality improvement initiatives.
The fellow works with full-time hospitalists. Rotations are 13 blocks of four weeks each:
- Six blocks of hospital medicine
- One block of ICU/hospital procedure with interventional radiology
- Two blocks of rural hospital rotations with open ICU managing vent and lines
- One block of cardiology with emphasis on stress testing and consults
- One block of neurology and acute rehabilitation
- Two blocks of electives
The fellow will also travel to Mercyhealth Hospital and Medical Center–Walworth in Lake Geneva, WI, for two blocks of rural hospitalist rotation with open ICU.
Mercyhealth offers advanced SIM labs, robust subspecialty support, on-site cardiac imaging and testing, an on-site full-time intensivist, fully staffed interventional radiology, and a friendly and supportive environment for learning and teaching.
You must be a third-year resident in good standing or a recent graduate of an accredited family medicine residency. You also must be licensed, or eligible for licensure, in the state of Wisconsin. At this time, our fellowship program does not sponsor J1 visas. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents.
How to apply
Candidates must submit:
- A copy of your current CV
- A personal statement about your career goals
- Three letters of recommendation (program director, attending faculty, and a third individual of your choosing)
For priority consideration, please send your materials by Friday, September 1 to:
Kelly Potter, Program Manager, or Dr. Suhail Shaikh, Program Medical Director
849 Kellogg Ave.
Janesville, WI 53548