Return to Index
Finger Flexor Tendon Injury
A finger flexor tendon injury is damage to the tissues that help the finger move. It can make it hard to bend the finger.
|Healthy Flexor Tendons of the Hand|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
This injury is often caused by a cut to the finger, hand, or arm. Other causes are:
A sports injury:
- Stretching the tendon too far in sports that use hand strength, such as rock climbing
- Catching the finger on another player’s shirt (Jersey finger)
- Weak flexor tendons from health problems, such as rheumatoid arthritis
Things that may raise your chance of this injury are:
Playing certain sports, such as:
- Having health problems that weaken flexor tendons, such as rheumatoid arthritis
Symptoms may be:
- A cut on the palm side of your hand
- Problems bending one or more joints of a finger
- Loss of feeling in a finger
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and health history. A physical exam will be done. The doctor will ask how the injury happened. The finger will be checked. A doctor who treats bones may need to look at it.
A splint will be needed to protect the finger. Other options are:
Antibiotics may be needed to treat or prevent infection.
Most people will need surgery to repair the tendon. Exercises will also be given to help with finger strength and motion.
American Society for Surgery of the Hand
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Canadian Orthopaedic Association
Trauma Association of Canada
Flexor tendon injuries. American Society for Surgery of the Hand website. Available at: http://www.assh.org/handcare/hand-arm-injuries/Flexor-Tendon. Published 2013. Accessed September 23, 2019.
Flexor tendon injuries. Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00015. Updated January 2011. Accessed September 23, 2019.
Jersey finger—emergency management. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/management/jersey-finger-emergency-management. Accessed September 23, 2019.
Tuttle HG, Olvey SP, et al. Tendon avulsion injuries of the distal phalanx. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 Apr;445:157-168.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Teresa Briedwell, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS
- Review Date: 09/2019
- Update Date: 07/14/2020