Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Foot Pain
Talk openly and often with your healthcare provider. It will help you make the best choices for your care.
Here are some tips that will help you talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask. They may also be able to provide more details to the doctor.
- Write down your questions so you do not forget them.
- Write down the answers you get. Make sure you grasp what you are hearing. Ask for help, if needed.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions. Ask where you can learn more. You have a right to know.
- What sort of footwear do you think I should wear?
- What is causing my pain?
- Can I do something about this?
- What are my risks for foot problems? How can I prevent problems?
- Should I see a foot specialist, such as an orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist?
- What are my options to treat this problem?
- Will I need surgery?
- Should I see a specialist?
Is there an activity I should avoid because of my foot problem?
- Will I be able to go back to it later?
- Do I need a walking aid?
- How can I prevent more pain?
- Will this get worse and limit my activities? Is it only temporary?
- Do I need to worry about this problem coming back?
Foot pain and problems. Johns Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/foot-pain-and-problems. Accessed May 5, 2020.
Foot complications. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/complications/foot-complications. Updated May 5, 2020. Accessed May 5, 2020.
Foot care 101. American Podiatric Medical Association website. Available at: http://www.apma.org/files/FileDownloads/myFEETFootCare101.pdf. Accessed May 5, 2020.
Getting the most out of your doctor appointment. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/tips-for-talking-to-your-doctor. Updated January 19, 2018. Accessed May 7, 2020.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
- Review Date: 02/2020
- Update Date: 05/07/2020