Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Psoriasis
There are no known methods to lower the risk of this health problem. But avoiding triggers can lower the risk of a flare up. Options are:
- Easing stress through relaxation methods, therapy, or support groups
- Protecting the skin and limiting time spent in cold, dry weather
- Taking safety steps to avoid skin injury
- Avoiding exposure to smoke
- Not drinking excess alcohol
- Taking steps to avoid respiratory infections, such as staying away from people who are sick and using proper hand hygiene
Psoriasis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/psoriasis. Accessed March 25, 2022.
Psoriasis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin diseases. Available at: https://www.niams.nih.gov/health-topics/psoriasis. Accessed March 25, 2022.
Psoriasis resource center. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/psoriasis. Accessed March 25, 2022.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
- Review Date: 11/2021
- Update Date: 03/29/2022