Return to Index
Symptoms of Insomnia
Insomnia symptoms may include:
- Difficulty falling asleep or returning to sleep after awakening
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Early awakening.
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep and/or feeling tired during the day despite having enough hours for sleep
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty concentrating or performing at work or school
- Moodiness or trouble getting along with others
- Lack of energy or motivation
- More errors or accidents at work or while driving
- Tension headaches and/or gastrointestinal problems
- Worries about sleep
Buysse DJ. Insomnia. JAMA. 2013;309(7):706-716.
Insomnia. Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/condition/insomnia. Updated July 2017. Accessed March 7, 2018.
Insomnia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/insomnia. Accessed March 7, 2018.
Insomnia. National Sleep Foundation website. Available at: https://sleepfoundation.org/insomnia/home. Accessed March 7, 2018.
Insomnia in adults. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T114839/Insomnia-in-adults . Updated June 5, 2017. Accessed March 7, 2018.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Monica Zangwill, MD, MPH
- Review Date: 03/2018
- Update Date: 03/15/2015