Return to Index
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Symptoms come and go. They are also not the same from one person to the next.
Symptoms may be worse after eating. Some are:
- Belly cramps
- Pain that gets better by moving your bowels
- Feeling that you have not fully emptied your bowels
- Straining to move your bowels
- An urgent need to move your bowels
- Mucus in the stool
- Back pain
Ford AC, Lacy BE, Talley NJ. Irritable bowel syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2017;376(26):2566-2578.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T113627/Irritable-bowel-syndrome-IBS. Updated September 10, 2018. Accessed August 26, 2019.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs. Updated April 2019. Accessed August 26, 2019.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board James P. Cornell, MD
- Review Date: 08/2019
- Update Date: 08/27/2019