Return to Index
Reducing Your Risk of Asthma
These steps may help lower the risk of asthma:
Avoid exposure to smoke:
- Do not smoke, especially when pregnant.
- Do not go to places with secondhand smoke.
- Keep children from secondhand smoke.
- Take steps to avoid respiratory infections, such as staying away from people who are sick and washing your hands.
- People who work jobs in farming, cleaning, or painting should follow safety steps.
Asthma in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/asthma-in-adults-and-adolescents . Updated October 11, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Chronic asthma in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/chronic-asthma-in-children . Updated September 27, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) global strategy for asthma management and prevention. GINA 2018.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
- Review Date: 09/2019
- Update Date: 10/22/2019