Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Allergic Rhinitis
Take an active role in your care, talk openly with your doctor. The more your doctor knows the better healthcare will be. It will also help to make sure your health goals are met.
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Write your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get. Make sure you understand what you are hearing. If you don't, tell the doctor. Ask for educational materials.
- Ask where you can find more information. You have a right to know.
- How is allergic rhinitis treated?
- What medicines are used for allergic rhinitis?
- If I must take medicine, what should I expect?
- Will my medicines interact with any supplements that I am taking?
- What about getting allergy shots?
- Are there any natural treatments I should know about?
- What should I do if I have a severe reaction?
- What changes can I make that will help this type of rhinitis?
- What can I do to avoid exposure to things that aggravate my allergies?
- Do I need to take any special precautions when I exercise?
- Do I need to take any special precautions when I travel?
- Should I expect any other problems because of allergic rhinitis?
- Are there any other factors that can make this worse?
- Will I have allergic rhinitis for my whole life?
- If I have children, will they develop allergic rhinitis?
Allergy shots. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology website. Available at: https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/allergy-library/allergy-shots-(immunotherapy). Accessed February 14, 2020.
Allergic rhinitis. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at: http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116217/Allergic-rhinitis. Updated July 9, 2018. Accessed February 14, 2020.
Allergic rhinitis treatment. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America website. Available at: https://www.aafa.org/allergy-treatments/. Updated March 2018. Accessed February 14, 2020.
Getting the most out of your doctor appointment. Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/tips-for-talking-to-your-doctor. Updated January 19, 2018. Accessed February 14, 2020.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2019
- Update Date: 02/14/2020