Return to Index
Symptoms of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)
Some people may not have symptoms or may try to hide them from others. People who do have symptoms may have:
- Problems with relationships
- Missing work or school
- Loss of control over drinking
- Craving alcohol
- Needing larger amounts of alcohol to have the same effects
- Physical symptoms when alcohol is stopped, such as:
- Problems sleeping
- Rapid heartbeat
- Perceiving something that is not real
Alcohol use disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/alcohol-use-disorder . Accessed September 3, 2020.
Alcohol withdrawal syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/alcohol-withdrawal-syndrome . Accessed September 3, 2020.
Day E, Copello A, Hull M. Assessment and management of alcohol use disorders. BMJ. 2015 Feb 19;350:h715.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). American Psychiatric Association; 2013.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Adrian Preda, MD
- Review Date: 03/2020
- Update Date: 09/03/2020