Return to Index
Good Food Sources of Vitamin B6
The body needs vitamin B6 to function. It helps the immune system and nervous system. It also helps us process nutrients. Many foods contain vitamin B6, so it is easy to fit into your diet when you need more.
Vitamin B6 content
|Fortified breakfast cereal||¾ cup||0.5 (check Nutrition Facts label)|
|Bulgur, cooked||1 cup||0.2|
|Potatoes, boiled||1 cup||0.4|
|Chicken breast, skinless, roasted||3 ounces||0.5|
|Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)||1 cup||1.1|
|Beef liver, pan fried||3 ounces||0.9|
|Turkey, roasted||3 ounces||0.4|
|Salmon, sockeye, cooked||3 ounces||0.6|
|Tuna, yellowfin||3 ounces||0.9|
|White rice, cooked||1 cup||0.1|
|Squash, winter, baked||½ cup||0.2|
|Ground beef, patty, 85% lean||0.3||0.3|
|Waffles, plain, toasted||1 waffle||0.3|
|Cottage cheese, 1% low-fat||1 cup||0.2|
|Nuts, mixed, dry-roasted||1 ounce||0.1|
|Raisins, seedless||½ cup||0.1|
|Spinach, frozen, boiled||½ cup||0.1|
|Watermelon, raw||1 cup||0.1|
|Spaghetti sauce||1 cup||0.4|
- Sprinkle garbanzo beans on a salad.
- Eat a fortified breakfast cereal in the morning.
- Slice a banana into your oatmeal, cereal, or yogurt.
- Have fish for dinner a few times a week.
- Choose brown rice instead of white. Mix lentils with the rice.
- For a different sandwich, try peanut butter and banana.
- If you take a vitamin supplement, make sure it contains vitamin B6—but no more than 100% of the RDA.
Eat Right—Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
US Department of Agriculture
Dietitians of Canada
Pyridoxine. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/drug-monograph/pyridoxine. Accessed February 4, 2020.
Vitamin B6. Office of Dietary Supplements website. Available at: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB6-HealthProfessional. Updated September 19, 2019. Accessed February 4, 2020.
Vitamin B6. Oregon State University Linus Pauling Institute website. Available at: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminB6. Updated May 2014. Accessed February 4, 2020.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 11/2019
- Update Date: 02/04/2020