What does “robotic-assisted” mean?
This term can give the impression that the da Vinci robot alone is performing the surgery. However, the da Vinci Surgical System cannot run on its own. Your surgeon controls every aspect of your surgery. Da Vinci cannot make decisions, nor can it perform any type of movement without the surgeon’s direct input.
What does “dual console” mean?
Mercy’s da Vinci robot has two consoles that the surgeons work at. This ensures that two sets of eyes, hands and skills are in surgery when needed. When several organs or organ systems are involved in a surgery, two surgeons from different specialties work together to assure the best treatment for the patient.
How is da Vinci better than traditional laparoscopic surgery?
Laparoscopic surgery is typically limited to very simple procedures. Also, da Vinci offers greater precision than the human hand can allow and its high-definition cameras see more than the human eye, offering improved clarity, magnification and detail of tissue and anatomy, which are critical factors when performing delicate procedures.
Is the da Vinci system safe?
Mercyhealth’s number one priority is patient safety. The da Vinci robotic system provides numerous safety features, including:
- Over one million safety self-checks per second
- Guided instrument exchange to ensure safe exchange during surgery
- A widescreen touch-screen for an improved view of anatomy and instruments
- Audio-visual alerts that ensure the surgeon and operating room team are constantly aware of system status and functions
However, all types of surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.
What are main benefits to me?
- Requires just a few tiny incisions for minimal scarring
- Faster after-surgery recovery (days versus weeks)
- Significantly less pain and less blood loss
- Reduced complications
- Reduced hospital stays
- Reduced recovery time
- Less risk of infection
- Faster return to normal activities
- Overall increased satisfaction
How do I know if da Vinci is right for me?
If your doctor recommends surgery, learning about all your surgical options can help you to make the best decision for your situation and ease anxiety you may be feeling. Talk to your surgeon about your options and concerns.