Camping is a fun way to get family and friends together to enjoy the outdoors. Take a few minutes to help ensure your camping trip is safe and healthy with these smart tips:
- Make sure you are up-to-date on recommended vaccinations before your camping trip.
- Pack healthy snacks, water, adequate clothes and a first-aid kit.
- Never leave a campfire unattended. Before you leave a campsite, be sure to put it out completely.
- Put on protective gear, such as helmets, sturdy shoes and life jackets, depending on the activity.
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Never use fuel-burning equipment, such as gas stoves, heaters, lanterns and charcoal grills, inside or near a tent, camper or other enclosed shelter.
- Put on insect repellent containing 20% or more DEET.
- Wear light-colored clothing so you can see ticks better. Check yourself, your family and your pets for ticks, and remove them promptly.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Put on sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and cover up with clothing, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.