When a person’s traumatic injuries are caused by sexual assault, Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center offers round-the-clock compassionate care through its SANE (sexual assault nurse examiner) program. Mercy’s SANE program, the only one of its kind in Rock County, provides comprehensive care for sexual assault victims of all ages.
Mercy’s sexual assault nurse examiner is a registered nurse who has specialized education and has fulfilled clinical requirements to perform forensic examinations of patients who report sexual assault. The nurse examiner offers:
- Full attention focused on the care and comfort of the patient
- Emergency health services
- Expertise to offer effective courtroom testimony
- Definitions of consent and sexual assault
- Community education about preventing sexual abuse
- Access to important local resources
Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center expanded its emergency services to include a SANE program in July 2008 to give Rock County the necessary services and the support it needs to care for victims of sexual assault.
For details about Mercy’s SANE program, call (608) 756-6522.